Important Things to Know After You've Been Involved in an Accident
If you've been injured in a motor vehicle or other type of accident, there are some critical initial steps you can take. A Cleveland/Akron personal injury attorney explains some important things to understand.
What to Do Immediately After an Accident
If you've been involved in a car accident, a Cleveland/Akron personal injury lawyer can offer some practical advice about what to do.
- Stay Safe - If you can safely remove your vehicle from traffic, you should do so. However, do not leave the scene of the accident;
- Call the Police - Even if the other driver assures you that you can "handle it between you," this is usually a bad idea. Insurance scams abound, and most insurance companies will require a police report as part of the claims process;
- Seek Medical Attention - Even if you don't feel like you were hurt, symptoms can often take hours or days to appear; and
- Exchange Insurance Information With the Other Diver
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver but nothing else. Do not give out personal contact information or engage in a discussion about the cause of the accident.
Things to Know About When the Police Arrive
As a Cleveland/Akron personal injury lawyer can advise, it's important to call the police if you were involved in a car accident. Additionally, cooperate with law enforcement when they arrive. That said, understand that fault is actually a legal concept. You are not required to admit to responsibility for the accident. Make sure you ask the officer how and when the police report will become available. If you receive a ticket or citation, your attorney can help you understand what this means and what you can do about it.
Trust your legal matter to a Cleveland/Akron personal injury attorney with a proven track record of getting results for clients. To schedule a free appointment for an initial consultation to explore your legal options, contact the Law Office of Shapero & Green at 216-831-5100.